Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Laundry


So my new years resolution this year, along with the ones I make every year (to read more, exercise more ... similar to everyone else's I imagine!) was to write more regularly on the blog.  I have always enjoyed writing and I think that it helps me with my anxiety, much like writing a diary I suppose.  I also love looking back at all my old blog posts and feel sad that the blog is so sadly neglected nowadays.  As it is virtually mid way through the year, I thought it might be timely that 2017 might be the year that I actually keep one resolution.   I am determined to try and make some changes this year and one of them might as well be updating the blog.



So in the spirit of updating the blog, here is a house update.

We have finished the cabinetry in the laundry which looks fabulous and is also very practical.  I am not quite sure how I have lived without the hanging rail for so long.  Every laundry should have one. Especially when you have two lots of school uniforms to iron each week.  When we purchased the house there were built in cupboards along the wall on one side of the laundry and on the other side ran the bench top with space for a washer and dryer below, at the end of the benchtop there was a laundry sink with a standard Bunnings cupboard underneath.  Left of the washer and dryer there was nothing.  The benchtop was in place but below it a big empty gap.  I suspect that the original owners were intending to install more cabinetry at a later date or perhaps planning to have bespoke baskets made to store laundry in?   We decided the empty space was best used to make two very large laundry drawers. 


These were custom made by our cabinet maker and I am delighted with the outcome.  Both boys do a lot of sport and consequently there are scary amounts of washing to be done.  These laundry drawers are life savers.  The laundry always looks neat and tidy regardless of the amount of stinky dirty washing accumulating.   At the same time we also replaced the cheap Bunnings cabinet under the sink with a cabinet that matched the pull out laundry drawers.  Above the benchtop,  I made use of the blank wall and had more cabinetry made to fill in the space and also for further storage.  The position of these cabinets then created the natural wall to position a hanging rail over the laundry sink. 


The cabinetry above the benchtop is so useful and has the additional benefit of making the room much prettier.  When you have to spend a good deal of your time in a room doing chores you may as well make it as pretty and pleasant to be in as you can!

Laundry shelves store vases, spare pegs, bits from my enamel collection, beach towels and some of my many baskets.   I am delighted with the changes to the laundry and now it only needs one more thing.  An interesting light fitting, any suggestions welcome!

8 comments:

  1. Well you are back and that is all that matters! I would love a laundry room but space is tight here. I have a single cupboard instead of in the kitchen though. Imagine if you had to do all the boys' laundry in the kitchen? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, hopefully I stick to it this time! Many years ago, I lived in an apartment in Bronte that had the washing machine in the kitchen, positioned next to the dishwasher. We all got used to it quickly, although thinking about it now and the amount of washing that I have to do these days does make me feel a little itchy!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see a new post from you! I bought a house to fix up last year and your blog has been n inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine, thank you! I will try and write more frequently from now on. I hope that your house renovations are going well.

      Delete
  3. How nice to see you blogging again! I too am sad I haven't managed to blog more - I look back over my old blog posts and miss that I haven't got a good record of the past year.
    Love the laundry update! Those hamper drawers are perfect. My laundry works well, and I have to recommend (again) the hanging laundry maid - I love not having airing racks around the house! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi, I am determined this time to be more consistent in writing posts on the blog. Hopefully that doesn't translate into me writing a blog post in 12 months time, expressing my frustration that I have neglected my online journal once again. Must convince Ross that I need a laundry maid first though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your laundry has so much storage! So good! I'm with you on the blog writing - made it a mini goal too. I think the writing offers clarity for me. Elisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elisa, Yes, I am very grateful to have such big space to work with. It does make it easier to have great storage. Fingers crossed that we both manage to stick to our writing goals. Emma x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...